A Guide to Winston-Salem
Winston-Salem is a city of approximately 230,000 people located in Forsyth County in the Piedmont area of North Carolina. The Blue Ridge Mountains are an accessible 75 miles to the west, and the city is 225 miles from the beaches of the Atlantic Ocean. The climate is moderate, with an average summer temperature of 73.9 degrees fahrenheit and an average winter temperature of 45.3 degrees fahrenheit.
Apartment living in the city is convenient, comfortable, and reasonably priced. The city offers an active cultural life and numerous opportunities for recreation and study. Winston-Salem does not present a large crowded urban environment. Follow these links to more information about the surrounding region and its activities. An online map of Winston-Salem is also available.
North Carolina, home to Winston-Salem and Wake Forest University, has long been known as one of the most beautiful of the fifty states. North Carolina is called the “Variety Vacationland” because of the Great Smoky and Blue Ridge Mountain ranges in the west, the Outer Banks with the wild beaches on the Atlantic Ocean in the east, and the rolling Piedmont hills in the center of the state. More on North Carolina…
Winston-Salem, NC was featured in the October 2012 issue of U.S. Airways magazine. The feature is called “Celebrate Winston-Salem: City of Arts & Innovation.” Check out pages 56-153 for an in-depth look at our city.
Winston-Salem, A Family-Friendly Environment
Many of our incoming LL.M. students come to Winston-Salem with their families. Winston-Salem is consistently ranked by various agencies as one of the top 100 places to live, work, and raise a family in the United States.
- Top 10 of America’s Most Fun, Affordable Cities (2012)- By BloombergBusinessweek
- The Best Cities for Relocating Families (2007) – Winston-Salem ranked #12.
- Winston-Salem ranked the lowest-cost of living city in the U.S.
- CNNMoney.com – Winston-Salem placed 56th in the ranking of the “Best U.S. Cities to Live and Launch.”
- BusinessWeek.com – Winston-Salem ranked as the 7th “Best Place to Start Over.”
- Partners for Livable Communities – Winston-Salem ranked as the 10th “most livable” mid-sized U.S. city.
- Global Quality of Living City Rankings – Winston-Salem tied with Pittsburgh, PA as the 52nd city with the highest quality of living in the Americas.
- Top 100 Cities for Healthy Pregnancies – Winston-Salem ranked #19.
- Digital Cities Survey – Winston-Salem ranked 5th in the ranking of the most digital U.S. cities with populations between 125,000 and 249,999.
- World’s Cheapest Cities for Expensive Living 2010 – Winston-Salem ranked 17th
- Winston-Salem named one of the top 9 cities with a local government designated as “Citizen-Engaged Communities”
- Keep America Beautiful – “Keep Winston-Salem Beautiful” wins 6th Consecutive President’s Circle Award from Keep America Beautiful
- Award for Excellence in Government Finance – Winston-Salem is one of just six winners nationwide of a 2009 Award for Excellence in Government Finance from the Government Finance Officers Association
- Winston-Salem voted one of America’s best downtown’s by Yahoo! Travel
- Winston-Salem is ranked 46th out of America’s Best 50 cities by BusinessWeek.
- Other Awards
Below are useful links that will introduce you to Winston-Salem. You will find that not only does Winston-Salem have state-of-the-art hospitals, an excellent school system, and a nearby international airport, but that there are also many things for you and your family to do in the area.
We offer assistance to all incoming students in finding appropriate housing for their year in Winston-Salem. Although there is no on-campus dormitory housing available for graduate students, there are many choices of comfortable, affordable housing:
- Law School Housing List
- Off-Campus Wake Forest Housing for Graduate Students
- WFU Residence Life & Housing Off-Campus Listing
- Apartment Finder – Winston-Salem
- “MyApartmentMap”: Winston-Salem Apartments For Rent
There are many local restaurants and bars located throughout Winston-Salem. Check out our guide to Winston-Salem Restaurants: Winston-Salem Restaurant Guide
Also check out this local blog for restaurant recommendations.
There are many activities in Winston-Salem and nearby cities, which you and your family can participate in throughout the year. Below are some highlight activities. For more to do and detailed contact information, check out our blog post here.
- Family – Friendly
- Arts & Art Events
- Winston-Salem Symphony
- North Carolina Shakespeare Festival
- Reynolda House Museum
- RiverRun International Film Festival
- Eastern Music Festival
- Merle Fest
- NC School of the Arts Student Film Screenings
- Visit one of NC’s 100+ Vineyards
- Outdoor activities
- Explore nature in the Black Walnut Loop Trail
- Play golf at TanglewoodPark or Long Creek Golf Club
- Ski your way across the NC mountains
- Visit one of NC’s beautiful state parks
- Hike the Appalachian Trail or Pilot Mountain
- Go white-water rafting
- Go hiking and swimming at Hanging Rock park
- Salem Lake- beautiful, local lake with a 7 mile trail
- Tour the Reynolda Gardens
- Parks and Greenways locator
Winston-Salem Special Events
- The Nutcracker
- Dixie Classic Fair
- Great North Carolina Beer Festival held at Tanglewood Park
- Hispanic Fiesta
- Rock The Block
- Winston-Salem Airshow
- Winston-Salem Open
- Twin City Rib Fest
- Annual North Carolina Wine Festival
- Salute! The North Carolina Wine Festival
- Festival of Lights
- For more information about these events, visit this website.
Education for Adults
- Forsyth Tech
- English as a Second Language/English Literacy
- Winston Salem State University
- Greensboro College
- North Carolina School of the Arts
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Salem College
In the past many of WFU’s international students have enrolled children in the Winston-Salem / Forsyth County School System and did so with no problems. We can provide assistance in helping you enroll your pre-school and school aged children in Winston-Salem schools.
- Winston-Salem / Forsyth County School System
- List of Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Schools
(This website will tell you the school zone your children will attend according to your address and will also lead to information about each of the schools.)
- List of State of North Carolina ranked child care facilities for children younger than school-age.
- Near Campus: