English as a Second Language
If your TOEFL score meets our minimum for admission, but we believe you would benefit from more exposure to English, we may condition our acceptance on your satisfactory completion of an approved intensive course in English as a second language before you begin our LLM program.
Wake Forest University hosts a summer English Language Skills Enhancement (ELSE) program, which is designed for international students, scholars, and researchers who seek to develop a more advanced proficiency in English in order to better prepare for the academic, social and professional expectations of the University.
In the past we have referred international students to an intensive English language program sponsored through the University of North Carolina at Greensboro in nearby Greensboro, N.C. Greensboro is about a 30-minute drive from our campus in Winston-Salem. Contact information is:
We have also approved attendance at other ESL and U.S. orientation programs submitted by applicants. These have included:
- American English Language Institute at the University of Connecticut
- Summer Institute in English at North Carolina State University
- Language programs at Boston University
- English as a Foreign Language at George Washington University
- English for Law at Valparaiso University
- English for Lawyers at University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Legal English Institute at the University of Delaware
- Orientation in the U.S. Legal System and the Introduction to Legal English at the International Law Institute